8.31.2009

Rummaging is hard to do.

I spent most of the day Saturday rummaging through my Grandma's house. She passed away in May, and my dad has been asking me for weeks to come "see what I want." I've been putting it off like crazy because . . . well, I just don't feel right about this sort of thing. And bless my dad's heart. He doesn't know what he's doing. He's an only child. He was super close to her, so I know it must be hard figuring out what to keep, what to toss and what to give to his children.

Not gonna' lie. It felt really weird going through her dresser drawers, closet bins and pretty much any nook and cranny we could find. I was intrigued at the same time, though. I actually learned a couple of things about the woman I was never really close to, but spent a lot of time with. For instance, Grandma loved a scarf. Neeeever saw her wear one, but boy did she have drawers and drawers full of 'em. Presents she could never bring herself to re-gift? Yeah, I think so too. Grandma also loved silverware. Yes, silverware. I found boxes and boxes (and boxes) of silverware. I even found a random spoon or fork in a couple of dresser drawers. Maybe she believed in some weird superstition that if you put silverware in your sock drawer, you'll be protected from vampires? (Yes, I totally just made a reference to True Blood --- addicted to that show, by the way).

In all seriousness, although I felt weird, it made me see her in a different light. And I found myself having to fight back tears throughout the day. Sometimes, I'd look over at Dad . . . and I could see he was fighting 'em back too.

Here are a few things Pops gave me, plus lots of cool pictures, figurines and blankets.


How sweet is this Polaroid? It even had some film in it . . . ahhhhh.
He also gave me one similar to the Polaroid on the left.
I also found a vintage green cosmetic case with her initials on the front, similar to this one. (Photo via Fairytale Wishes & Dreams)

No comments: