1.25.2010

Kevin, I've missed you.


Did anyone else cry during Kevin Bacon's acceptance speech for his performance in Taking Chance at the SAG Awards? (Great movie, by the way!) Well, I sure did. I've been scouring the Internet trying to find a clip, but all I could get my hands on is a typed-out version of his speech . . which obviously does it zero justice. I'll keep looking, but in the meantime, here 'tis.

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries

KEVIN BACON / Lt. Col. Michael R. Strobl - "TAKING CHANCE" (HBO)

KEVIN BACON: Thank you so much for this. Thank you, let’s see, to my brothers and sisters in the Screen Actors Guild for including me with this amazing group of performers. I hope that we are colleagues and not competitors. I want to say thank you to everybody who was involved in the making of “Taking Chance,” from the inception to the broadcast of it. We should all be very proud of this great film.


I want to give a shout-out to Master Sergeant Vic Szalankiewicz. [applause] Vic had the unenviable job of trying to make me look like a Marine. And his real job is even harder. He’s back from his third tour of Iraq and probably on his way down to Haiti. [applause] So, Vic, thanks for your help with this.

And…lastly, I just want to say to my – my beautiful wife and family, you know, we actors, we’ve got to go away sometimes. And, you know, not just like physically, but into the heads and hearts of the characters that we play. So, thanks for trusting that I’ll always find my way back. Thank you. [applause]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The person he gives the shout out to is my friend and is a great Marine. It was really cool to see it. Unfortunately SAG took the video offline immediately after several people posted. What a bummer. Great acceptance speech for a great movie.